Prevention of Heart Infection due to Dental Treatment – patient information to assist informed consent
This ADA patient education pamphlet provides dental information on antibiotic prophylaxis prescribed for patients at risk of infective endocarditis. The topics discussed include:
- An explanation of infective endocarditis and how it occurs
- Why antibiotic prophylaxis is prescribed for certain patients
- Symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of infective endocarditis
The use of antibiotic prophylaxis is described for patients who have certain heart conditions, such as:
- Artificial heart valve
- Artificial material used to repair the heart, heart valve or aorta
- Previous bouts of infective endocarditis
- Some congenital abnormalities and repairs to them
This leaflet can be a useful tool for patients with the above conditions who require dental treatment such as tooth extraction, periodontal (gum) procedures, dental implant surgery and root resection (apicectomy).
Mi-tec publishes 31 Australian Dental Association patient information brochures. The dental information is written in plain English to assist the patients’ understanding of health information and to help patients make informed decisions. The ADA patient information brochures are printed in five-colour on high-quality A4 sheets.