Publishers for medical and dental colleges, societies and associations in Australia and New Zealand
Mi-tec Medical Publishing produces high-quality and extensively peer-reviewed patient education publications for 21 colleges, societies and associations in Australia and New Zealand. The objective of the publications is to reduce the medico-legal risk of “failure to inform” by assisting the informed-consent process and helping to establish a process of communication between doctors and their patients. The surgical, medical, dental and research organisations include the following:
Surgical & Medical
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- General Surgeons Australia (Australian Society of Specialist General Surgeons)
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- New Zealand Association of Plastic Surgery
- Australian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
- Australasian Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology
- Australian and New Zealand Association of Neurologists
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Colorectal Surgical Society of Australasia
- Australian and New Zealand Metabolic and Obesity Surgical Society
- Murdoch Children's Research Institute
- Australian and New Zealand Society for Vascular Surgery
- Australian Dental Association
- Australian and New Zealand Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Australian Society of Dental Anaesthesiology
- Australian Society of Orthodontists
More than 200 titles have been published, most of which describe surgical or dental procedures that require plain-English explanations of the benefits, risks and limitations of the surgery. The text and full-colour anatomical illustrations are comprehensively reviewed by surgical, medical and dental experts from our associated organisations. More recently, normal-anatomy leaflets have been published that provide further opportunities for surgeons to explain diagnoses, surgical procedures, surgical anatomy and prognoses to their patients.
Complete publishing infrastructure
Mi-tec manages each project from conception to completion and provides the following publishing services:
- Writing of all drafts, which are prepared by our team of doctors, nurses and scientists
- Liaising with surgical, medical and dental experts (chosen by each college, society or association) who review the manuscripts, medical illustrations and page proofs
- Design and layout
- Editorial and financial project management
- Marketing and advertising, and preparing mailouts of finished publications to Members of the organisations
- Taking of doctors’ orders and all fulfilment of orders, with orders filled and freighted at least twice weekly or urgently if required
- Invoicing and reconciling of accounts
- Maintenance of stock and inventory
- Calculation of fees payable to Mi-tec's client colleges, societies and associations
- Liaising with the college, society or association on edition changes, as required.
All intellectual property and copyrights are retained and owned by Mi-tec.
All administration, editorial, stock and despatch functions are undertaken at our Camberwell offices in Melbourne.
Objectives of Mi-tec Medical Publishing
Mi-tec was founded in 1991 by Dr Calvin Miller and Ms Susan Fetherston to produce medical communications for the surgical, medical, dental and pharmaceutical professions.
Over the years, Mi-tec writers and staff have written, edited, researched and designed a wide variety of publications including peer-reviewed medical journals, hospital and research institution reports, pharmaceutical information, patient newsletters, healthcare magazines and patient education pamphlets. Informative, high-quality publications are valued and important for creating positive and lasting impressions. When your college, association, society or company requires the highest standards of medical writing and publishing, Mi-tec Medical Publishing will work with you to meet your communications and publishing needs.